Roommate gifts can be one of the more challenging presents to come up with during your time in college. After all, you sometimes know more about your roommate than anyone else on campus -- and yet great roommate gifts can be heard to come by.
Fortunately, with a little creative thinking, you can get your roommate a great gift without blowing your budget.
10 Great Roommate Gifts
1. Something only you know they need. You may see your roommate struggling with something that, shall we say, has been well loved for a little too long. It could be a new hair dryer, a new towel set, a new shower caddy, or generally anything they use frequently.
2. Something of yours that they're always borrowing. Your rain boots, favorite shirt, jeans, cute black pumps, or basketball may technically be yours, but seem to have been adopted by your roommate lately. Give them a new, similar product of their own so they can enjoy it without worrying -- and without having to check with you first.
3. A gift certificate to their favorite restaurant on or off campus. Does your roommate always walk around with a Starbucks coffee, Jamba Juice smoothie, or burger from the place across the street? Consider getting them a small gift certificate to a place you know they already love.
4. A gift from the campus bookstore. Because honestly, who minds having another t-shirt, sweatshirt, or pair of comfy pants with your school logo on them?
5. A small gift every day of their birthday week. This is a great option if you're a little short on cash. You can surprise your roommate with something fun every day of their birthday week: their favorite candy bar placed on their computer keyboard one day, a box of their favorite cereal the next.
6. A new laptop bag/backpack/gym bag/purse/etc. College students are notoriously rough on their bags. And, given that you share living quarters, you've probably seen the worst of the worst when it comes to how your roommate treats their backpack, gym bag, etc. Consider getting them a replacement or even just an extra one for when things get really ugly.
7. Some of their favorite personal products. Does your roommate have a favorite perfume? Cologne? Brand of flip-flops they're always wearing? Grab an extra one, throw it in a gift bag, and ... voila! Instant personal roommate gift.
8. A book by their favorite author or on their favorite topic. Chances are, your roommate has some passions and interests -- poetry, baseball, environmentalism -- that they don't get the chance to read about just for pleasure. Surprise them with something they'll enjoy without having to worry about writing a paper on later.
9. A jump drive or other simple electronic device to make life easier. Who wouldn't mind another jump drive or something similar? Little gadgets like these make life much, much easier and can make a great, inexpensive gift.
10. A gift certificate to their favorite website. Does your roommate love iTunes? An online game? Consider getting them a gift certificate that they can use electronically. Added bonus: These make great last-minute gifts since they're often delivered instantly.