Amidst everything else you're trying to finish before graduation -- least of all, your actual classes -- you're being pressured to send out graduation announcements. Why should you spend the time to send them out when you have so much else going on?
8 Reasons to Send Graduation Announcements
- Your family and friends want to know. Sure, some may know that you are graduating ... sometime this year. An announcement is a great way to keep them informed and to let them know what your degree is and when, officially, you'll be receiving it.
- Your parents and other family members want to brag about you. Have you ever been to someone's house and seen a graduation announcement hanging on their fridge? Wasn't it exciting and impressive? Your family has been supporting you during your time in school; let them have a little bragging rights for the next few months by having their own announcement to post.
- Not to be crass, but ... many folks might send you some cash. In many cultures, it's traditional for friends and family members to send money as a graduation gift. And who doesn't need a little help as they have to pay for work clothes, a new apartment, and everything else that's needed for a new job (or even graduate school)?
- It's a good way to start networking. You're graduating with a degree in Computer Science, and your uncle Chris just happens to work at a computer company you're interested in working for, too. An announcement can be a great way to open the door to future job opportunities, since people will know you are now officially a college graduate looking for work.
- It's a great keepsake. It may seem like a pain now, but finding a copy 20 years from now of your graduation announcement, stored in a shoebox in your attic, is a great gift you can give your future self.
- It's a good way to keep in touch with people. Sure, Facebook and social media is a great way to keep in touch with friends. But what about family members or other folks who you don't see very often but still consider an important part of your life? Sending an announcement is a great way to keep the doors of communication open.
- It's a great way to celebrate your achievement! Let's not forget all the late nights, study sessions, hard work, cramming, and everything else you did to earn that degree. This is your perfect chance to let everyone know that you've finally earned your degree without sounding too pompous about it.
- It's a great way to thank those who helped you get to where you are today. Did you have an influential high school teacher who helped you get to college? A mentor in your church? Family member who really stepped in when you needed it? Sending graduation announcements to those who really made a difference in your life can be a great way to thank them for all their love and support.