Cooking in college presents a challenge to even the smartest student. These ideas and recipes can quickly -- and cheaply -- transform a lackluster meal or snack option into something much more exciting (and delicious!).
1. Spruced-up bagels. Grab some bagels, cream cheese, tomatoes (that you can slice later), and fresh orange juice to create a quick and energizing meal.
2. Quick pancakes. Don't have a lot of time, supplies (like eggs, milk, and flour), or cooking tools? Grab a container of Bisquick Shake 'n Pour, add water, pour into a frying pan, and voila ... hot, steamy pancakes! Don't forget to bring the syrup.
3. Blueberry pancakes in disguise. Krusteaz makes a pretty decent -- and usually pretty low-priced -- Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix. (It's in a box, usually on the same aisle as the flour.) However, thanks to a recipe on the back of the carton, you can quickly turn it into blueberry pancakes.
Lunch and Dinner Ideas
4. Macaroni and cheese. With multiple, easy-to-make options available, there's no reason why you can't enjoy a dish of mac & cheese now and then. Velveeta and Kraft offer timeless favorites you can make yourself, or you can opt for frozen options if you have access to an oven or microwave.
5. 1-2-3 Ravioli Dinner. If you had the time (and skills, and patience, and kitchen space, and tools, and...), you'd make it yourself. But if you don't, this recipe will work.
6. Bread, cheese, drink. Grab a small baguette, a chunk of your favorite cheese, and something nice to drink. This makes a great snack or small meal and is easy to eat while studying. Add salami if you're extra hungry.
7. Couscous, Tomatoes, and Chicken. Not knowing what couscous is is no excuse for not making this quick, tasty, and easy meal.
8. Taquitos in Five Minutes or Less. Hot, crunchy, delicious. Oh - and cheap and easy, too. What's not to like about this meal?
9. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Another timeless favorite that's practically guaranteed to fill you up and make you feel warm and fuzzy all over.
10. Homemade quesadillas. Grab some tortillas and shredded cheese, and pop 'em in the microwave. In under two minutes, you've got a delicious snack that leaves very little mess behind.
11. No-Way-Those-Work Peanut Butter Cookies. It may be hard to believe, but you can whip these up with very little time and only three ingredients.
12. Midnight-Snack Brownies and Ice Cream. A fantastic and easy idea for when you need a midnight snack with friends.