Being single -- and in college -- with Valentine's Day approaching can be a special kind of torture. Everyone else may seem like they have big plans in the works for how to spend the evening, whereas your big plans might involve facebook and some homework (if you're lucky). Instead of letting a college Valentine's Day get you cranky, try these 5 tips of what to do on campus to make the day tolerable -- if not fun.
1. Plan a movie fest. Invite some friends over and plan a movie marathon. You can spend the entire night eating funky snacks, watching great (or even horrible) movies, and catching up with friends. Why not let yourself relax and enjoy a night off? You don't necessarily need a boyfriend or girlfriend to make it happen.
2. Cook yourself a nice dinner. You can use the kitchen in your residence hall, the kitchen at a friend's house, or any kitchen that you have access to. After spending an hour or so putting together a nice meal for yourself or friends, it's practically impossible not to feel good afterward. (Check out 12 Easy Meal Ideas for College Students for some suggestions.)
3. Throw an anti-Valentine's Day party. Chances are, you aren't the only person on campus to not be thrilled about the holiday. Plan an Anti-Valentine's Day Party -- for just a few friends or the entire campus -- that shows that those without boyfriends or girlfriends can have a good (if not better) time, too.
4. Get yourself together. It may sound strange, but when was the last time you woke up feeling totally put together? Instead of moping about being single, use the free time you have Valentine's Day evening to get yourself organized. Clean up your calendar, catch up on laundry, plan ahead for major papers and midterms, and get a head start on those assignments you've been avoiding. It may sound lame (okay, totally lame) at first, but you might be surprised at how good you feel after you're done. Who needs a date to go to bed feeling like a rock star?
5. Set up an online dating profile. Alright, you may be single, and you may be at peace with it -- but you may also be interested in changing that single status. Spend some time at your computer, setting up an online dating profile. Who knows what might happen?!