Planning for, Managing, and Handling College Money and Expenses
By Kelci Lynn Lucier, About.com Guide
- Smart Ways to Save Money Every Day
- Controlling Your Living Expenses
- Handling Emergency Financial Situations
The Basics on College Financial Aid
Understanding the basics of financial aid, and of your financial aid package in particular, will help you better understand what your financial year will look like while you're in school.
- Common Financial Aid Terms
- 5 Things to Know About Your Financial Aid Package
- Important Financial Aid Deadlines
Setting Up a System for Yourself
Knowing what your expenses are, how much money you have left for the semester, and how to track your money can be a lot easier than you might think -- and a lot easier than dealing with an unexpected disaster at the end of the term.
- Basic Budgeting for College Students
- 5 Ways to Keep Track of Your Money While in School
- When -- and When Not -- to Use a Student Credit Card
Working in College
Most students have a job (or jobs) while in school. Learn how to find the best job for your situation and how to be smart about working during your college years.
- Should I Work On Or Off Campus?
- How to Find a Good On-Campus Job
- Unusual Jobs for College Students
- Smart Holiday Jobs
Smart Ways to Save Money Every Day
Staying on top of your money in college often means doing little things every day that add up to financial responsibility (and more money in your pocket!) by the end of the semester.
- How to Buy Used Books Online
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money in College
- 5 Ways to Relax for Under $5
- How to Save Money Over the Holidays
Controlling Your Living Expenses
Where to live, what to eat ... everyday choices about the basics while in college can significantly influence how much money you'll need to survive the academic year. Make sure your choices about your living expenses are informed and the best fit for your situation.
- Should I Live On or Off Campus?
- Living at Home While in College
- Should I Live in My Fraternity or Sorority House?
- How to Find an Off-Campus Apartment
- How to Select the Best Meal Plan for Your Situation
- What to Do If Your Meal Plan Is Running Low
- 12 Cheap & Easy Meal Ideas for College Students
Handling Emergency Financial Situations
Sometimes, no matter how much or how well you plan, "life" just happens while you're in school. And finding money for college in an emergency can be particularly challenging -- and scary. Know how to prevent an unexpected setback from turning into a detour from your plans to get your degree.