Thanksgiving break, for many college students, is an oasis in the middle of fall semester. It's a chance to return home and recharge; it's a chance to take a break from midterms and papers; it's a chance to get some good food and spend time with friends. Some students go home, some stay on campus, and others head to a friend or roommate's house to celebrate the holiday. No matter your situation, though, there are things you can do to make sure you squeeze every last drop out of the long weekend.
Friends, Family, & Relationships
Thanksgiving is nearly always about friends and family. And while every college student has a unique situation when it comes to their nearest and dearest, nearly everyone needs a little love around the holidays.
- What to Expect During Your First Visit Home
- Should I Bring My Friend/Roommate Home with Me?
- What Exactly Is the "Turkey Dump/Thanksgiving Dump"?
Get Your Grub On
After months of on-campus cooking (or even cooking for yourself in an off-campus house or apartment), a delicious, traditional Thanksgiving meal may seem like the best thing on earth. How can you make sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible?
- Thanksgiving 101: Meals, Recipes, and Tips
- Easy Items for College Students to Bring to a Thanksgiving Dinner
- Where to Eat Out on Thanksgiving Day
For many students, Thanksgiving is their first real trip home of the fall semester. But it's also one of the busiest travel times of the year, so knowing what to expect can prevent a fun trip home from turning into a travel nightmare.
- What to Pack When Heading Home for Thanksgiving
- What to Do Before You Leave Campus for Thanksgiving Break
- How to Find Last-Minute Student Travel Deals
- About.com Guide to Student Travel
- Thanksgiving Travel Toolbox
Non-Traditional Options for College Student Thanksgivings
Some students can't go home; some don't want to; some may only do so for a day or two. So what options are available for those who choose to remain on or near campus over the Thanksgiving holiday?
- Alternative Thanksgiving Plans for College Students
- 6 Places to Volunteer Over Thanksgiving
- 10 Ways to Spend Thanksgiving on Campus
Staying on Top of Your Academics
Don't be a turkey; just because you're relaxing and hanging out with people over the break doesn't mean you can let your academics slide. While staying on top of your coursework is challenging, it isn't impossible.